Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reflection on our life here

We have about two weeks left in our house before the big move. I thought I would compile a list of what I will and will not miss about our life here.


What I will miss about P-town:

1) The friends we have made in our neighborhood, church and through Tom's residency.
Truly, they have been like family here - we have spent Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas dinners, birthdays, and many other special days together when our families were far away and we couldn't get home, not to mention all the times we just get together for no reason at all.


Good Friends Paul and Kathy


Our Sunday School Class on our goodbye cruise on the Spirit of P-town Paddleboat


2) My Mom's group at church. Every Tuesday morning I would get Clara and I up to my church where Clara got dropped off to excellent childcare and I got two hours of bible study and getting to know other great moms. It was so much fun and Clara and I both have made some good friends from my small group there.

3) YMCA workouts. The past 6 months or so, my friend Camille and I would meet up at the Y to workout together. Her son Carter and Clara are close in age and they went to the childcare area and Camille and I got about an hour to ourselves. The motivation and friendship from Camille is what I will miss because, let's face it, if I have no one to meet up with, I probably won't make it to the gym. Plus, Tom's residency paid for our gym membership the whole time we were here. So nice!
My workout buddy, Camille


4) Clara's nursery. Tom and I spent hours and hours before Clara was born getting her room ready. We painted stripes, put up wainscoating, painted trimwork, hung up quilts and pictures and shelves. My Mom and I spent a lot of time picking out fabrics, and sewing her curtains, bumper pads, diaper stacker, pillows, and several quilts. I love her room - it's so sweet and girly.

Sadly, I couldn't find a great picture of the whole nursery, but this gives you a glimpse...



5) Clara's music class - For over a year, every Thursday Clara and I go to her Music Together class with Ms. Julie. Every semester we get new CDs to play in the car and the class is so much fun with lots of different activities and songs. Clara really enjoys herself and it's been neat to see her progress and develop in the class and to learn the songs.

6) Our neighborhood. It's safe, pretty, and there are sidewalks all over. We go on daily walks with Clara and Chelsea and I'm thinking it won't be the same in our new place. We usually stop and talk to neighbors along the way which I enjoy after being home alone with only a toddler to talk to...which is fun, but just not the same.


What I won't miss about living here:

1) Living in an older home. This place needs a lot of TLC. It's a great house with a lot of character, but the upkeep can be time consuming.


2) The LONG winters. It is way too cold here for me and for way too long!! The winters seem very long and gray. I really look forward to a HOT summer and a much more mild winter.


Clara is thinking here...'When will this winter end?'




3) Lack of Restaurants. We haven't found too many places we really like to go out and eat here. Not that we will go out that much in our new place, especially once the new baby is here, but at least we will have the option when we are able!

4) The constant sirens. We live close enough to the hospital and off a busy enough road that we hear sirens throughout the day and night. We are looking forward to living in the country where it's just us and some neighbors a few acres away.

5) Having Clara's room right next to the master bedroom. Clara is a light sleeper and we tiptoe around upstairs while we're getting ready for bed and using the bathroom. Waking up a sleeping child is pretty frustrating to me! In our new place, Clara's room is upstairs and ours is on the main floor :)

6) The basement - It's partially finished, we do laundry down there and store a lot of stuff. There is constant worry when we're out of town if the sump pump is working and a host of other things.